Tuesday, October 12, 2010

BP10_Museumbox


Museumbox is an interesting web tool because it enables students to create an interactive museum in a box. Museumbox is located at museumbox.e2bn.org. Museumbox gives the user six sides of a box in which to place content. Users can place pictures, text, video, audio, links, or documents on each side, which can give viewers a rich interactive experience while learning about the given topic.

The creation of the box is the first phase of the Museumbox experience. Students can be assigned an event, person, or object to research and create a box. When I used this in my class, I had the students choose an Enlightenment philosopher and create a box. One of my student’s boxes can be viewed at the following link: http://museumbox.e2bn.org/creator/viewer/show/47233

Once this part of the activity is completed, they can share their box. Students are linked to the school in which they are affiliated. For example, my student, Meera, is connected with McKeel Academy and when she shares her work, it is connected with McKeel Academy’s area. One aspect of this sharing activity that I do not like is the ability for anyone to see the work of my students. Once the item is shared, other people can view the work and leave comments, which could lead to improved work.

I would like the opportunity to use this item again in my class, but instead of just having my students work on the box I would like to link them to another class in another state or country and have them collaborate on an assignment.

3 comments:

  1. Dennis, your review of Museumbox really got me interested in trying it. I think this tool would be great in my art classroom. It is really neat how it adds an extra dimension to whatever content is presented. I also like how it could be an organizational tool for student research or presentation of research. For instance, a student could use each box in a collection to represent an artist during a certain time period, say Impressionism. Then each box could contain an image of the artist, images of the artwork, and background information on the different slides. That would really break up the content nicely, and keep students motivated and interested in completing each facet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis.

    I LOVE this site. Thank you for sharing it. As a former Social Studies teacher I truly wish I had the use of this when I was doing my BIG 6 Projects. I would have also used it as part of the webquests that I created for my students to complete. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tool! I'm going to present this tool to my Social Studies teachers to use for integration. I love idea for distance collaboration. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete